Wednesday, December 13, 2006

On why I write in English

I have had this "title" on the blogger drafts for some time now, (you can see in this screenshot that I have had it as a draft since May 24, 2006; click for larger view). It seems that there are many people intrigued by this infatuation of mine... Well, I guess I have felt your pressure since May of this year. So, here it is.

I was recently asked: "why do you write in English?" I, instead of giving a straight answer, would only take my attention towards something else (pichando eh), and never answered. Two reasons: 1. I didn't answer because indeed my attention was diverted, and I get distracted easily. 2. I didn't really want to answer. But now, I do, and I do it not only for those persons who have asked me, I also do it for those who haven't, and also for me too, to have it black and white.

I have debated on this subject, again since May, probably even before that. To understand this, I'd have to give some backstory. I know backstory (in storytelling) can be tedious, monotonous an boring, but I'll try not to. Well, it began when I was in school, and WANTED to learn English. I was a "cable-less" child until I was in like 9th grade. Cable is not a household necessity, I know, although, I also know that I wouldn't live without it, even if the TV is turned off for the entire day. Anyway, back to backstory, I learned English watching Sesame Street, and the sort of "muppet" shows that PBS, (el canal seis) would air.

Ok, that has nothing to do with why I write in English, but I'm getting there. So, then, I finally learned. Then I started University and found all these people that, even when they spoke perfect Spanish, they'd throw lines in English. Why? I asked. No apparent reason. It was probably "cool". And well, I, even when I despised that kind of behavior (I still think that the Spanglish spoken by Newyoricans/puertoricans/latins has a horrible accent) I became one of them too. And, because EVERYTHING I watched on TV was in English, then it became a natural thing.

Then, in 2004 I joined a Yahoo group with them friends from the University. And language started slowly shifting from Spanish to English as we moved out of Puerto Rico. There are still some things in Spanish there, proof of our love of the language, though, for the sake of all who don't know it, we write/wrote in English. "So?", you may ask, "let them figure it out for themselves..., tell them to buy a dictionary". That was a very good point, still is. But, we figured, that the people who knew Spanish, also knew English, whereas the English-knowers didn't know Spanish. And so, being the Spanish as giving as we are, and being the higher language there, then we let ourselves write in English so we would be understood by the majority of the people.

Then, I went to Orlando. And I came back. And started this blog out of sadness, because I had a great time over there. And well, this blog was/is intended for them to read. And the rule applied also: "I knew more people who spoke Spanish-English, and English-only, than Spanish-only". So, make the math, if I have
10 friends Spanish/English + 10 Englishonly + 5 Spanishonly (1 English blog) = 20 people who will possibly read and write.
Whereas if I have:
10 friends Spanish/English + 10 Englishonley + 5 Spanishonly (1 Spanish blog) = 15 people who will possibly read and write.
So, 20 vs 15... you figure it out...
And it is/was true. Many of the people I know speak both. This seemed like such a childish explanation, such a childish reason, but that is it. Childish stuff is what gets us in trouble (random thought) (I'm not in trouble) (look at George Bush, he's such a baby, or Roselló... Ohmygosh, out of context, out of subject... back, back to languages please).

BUT here comes the big ass BUT.
That math problem I just made up is outdated. Statisctics are different now... It seems that I get more hits from Spanish posts than English.... And since I am a child born out the capitalistic world, I will go with what the statistics say.

BUT, not only because of that... no no no. There's also another reason as to why I will be switching/leaning towards the Spanish now: because it's just so much easier for me, and also I'll have a more sophisticated and spontaneous beat in the writing, which I think I have lost a little; also I miss the one-sound-only letters, I miss the hardcore control of syllables, the ommited subjects, the syntax, and I miss the very wisely-used-very-ellusive accents (which actually have a purpose, as opposed to most of the French accents...).

I don't know if this long ass answer answers your questions. Writing in English is more of a habit than it is a choice. (I eat all the food I have on my plate out of habit, more than out of hunger or whatever) (that's another post) (and of course, there are exceptions to that rule) (that brings me to a question: am I fat?) (oh well, another day it'll have to be). So yes, I write in English out of habit, but that's only for this non-fictional blog areas, when I do fiction I have to do it in Spanish, its just such a richer language (no offense to English-speakers)...

Well, that's it. If I have offended somebody then go seat on a rusty nail, turn on it three times, then come back and ask. If I have offended somebody please call 1-800-hot-nail or find us on the net at: www.hotnail.edu/offenses.

Ok. Now, back to bed, because I have one of those illnesses that cannot be translated into English, nor be understood in most other Spanish-speaking countries, one of those illnesses vernacularly, authochthonously, puertorricanly named: La monga. Qué mierda es estar enfermo. (watch out for those adverbs).

6 comments:

C said...

Son 500 y pico de años de español. Es muy difícil traducir nuestra manera tan mágica de narrar las cosas. La manera de ver la vida junto a nuestra idiosincracia es lo que le da sentido a lo que hablamos o escribimos. No es lo mismo hablar inglés pensando como un puertorriqueño que hablarlo desde un punto de vista estadounidense.

Di said...

Bueno, el inglés lleva más tiempo como idioma.

But anyway, I can understand why you write in English. I write my own blog in English because I express myself better when writing in that language.

This was a good entry though, I liked reading it.

Kahlúa Macarena said...

nice post.

mira, escribe en el idioma que te dé la gana... estoy segura que el que te preguntó no lo hizo por curiosidad...

yo soy una que, con todo y lo maniática que soy con el idioma, sea español o inglés (no tolero los errores ortográficos, pero relax, joel, que hoy no te corrijo), cuando escribo siempre me sale algo en spanglish... digo, no todo el escrito, pero algo, tú sabes, a line here and there... y escribo así porque así hablo cuando cuento mis cosas. y, además, culturalmente estamos bombardeados por el inglés, sea por la tv, el cine, el internet... por algún lado nos tiene que salir...

ahora, es una realidad que la idiosincrasia boricua no se puede traducir de un idioma tan exquisitamente rico como el español a plain english... es simple y sencillamente imposible...

Iva said...

sabes, pienso igual que tu en ciertos aspectos.ej. traté de hacer una concentración en escritura creativa en inglés (por mi trasfondo en literatura anglosajona) y la verdad, no me gustaba lo que escribía excepto lo que se conoce como "creative non-fiction". como periodista, escribo en inglés. como cuentista, novelista y poeta, escribo en español.

hasta cierto punto, me molesta la actitud de algunas personas con los idiomas. a mí me fascinan y no entiendo por qué, el que uno prefiera hablar en un idioma u otro tiene que convertirse en un issue político o de clase.

en fin. buen post. deberías hacer una disertación sobre el tema...el título parece de esos clásicos de la literatura anglosajona.

J O E L said...

C, Fíjate, quinientos y pico de años de español puertorriqueño, que es mínimamente diferente a los de los demás países (hasta dicen que no tenemos acento, lo cual puede ser bueno, porque quiere decir que todo lo demás salió de aquí) (ya quisiera yo ser así de magnánimo)(el acento que nos ponen es: Correlll, Jugalll, qué mal). Por otro lado, es verdad, pensar en español pa escribir en inglés está difícil, pero la cosa es que puedo escribir pensando en inglés, lo que pasa es que a veces... a vecessss!!

DI, La verdad no creo que el inglés lleve más tiempo como idioma. Yo no sé bien (lo que me avergüenza a veces), pero los dos idiomas han crecido más o menos a la par, lo único que el uno muy alejado del otro sin conocerse el uno y el otro. Ahora, que el inglés sea más world widely renouned (debido, precisamente a la globalización y porque las compus salen mayormente con el inglés pegao) pues esa es otra cosa. Thanks for coming, thanks for reading, and most of all, for commenting! woohoo!

Kalhúa, pues orita encontré un error, pero es que no tenía de releer, pero ya lo voy a arreglar para que pase perfecto para las postrimerías. La verdad no sé si la persona que me preguntó preguntó por curiosidad o por otra cosa, la cosa es que no es la única persona que me lo pregunta, además de que YO mismo también me lo preguntaba. Y aunque la razón por la que escribo en inglés no es simplemente porque estamos bombardeados por ojos, nariz y boca, pero sí influye, porque así se hablo/hablamos. Y todo depende del sitio que esté (en mi trabajo, nada de inglés, excepto cuando me preguntan, y en la maestría, Dios me libre jajaja). AAH! Indiosincrasia puertorriqueña es una clase de doctorado pa cualquiera. (igual que mejicano o argentino, quizá).

Iva, a mi me pasa igual, y he escrito cuentos en inglés, and they're good, but they are hard to write, for some odd reason, the same thing with poems. Y sí, a mi también me (no quiero decir "me molesta", porque no es) me incomoda ese pensar de que hablar otro idioma es yo no sé algo político o de clase, especialmente en esta época cuando la educación es más o menos igual para todos (digo, eso está abierto a debates), y pues (aquí viene el comentario cafre/juvenile) el que se sienta diminished (sea la madre, no me sale la palabra) pues que bregue con eso. jajajaja


Diablo Joel, este comment está más largo que el post!
Gracias a toditos!

AH! y si alguien ve a La Diosa, le dicen que mi email es joelbuki@gmail.com pero no se pongan a enviarme emails ahí, porque puede ser que nunca los lea! jaja

C said...

Fijate, con el acento argentino. Aquí en korea hay un debate por la enseñanza del inglés, pues ocurre lo mismo que en PR que desde la primaria estan tomando clases, sin embargo la realidad es que muy poca gente puede mantener una conversación que sea mas allá de lo básico. Ahora mismo el atosigamiento del inglés es obsesivo pero como tú mencionas considero que es muy necesario por la globalización (y por ahi viene el chino mandarin). Yo creo que mientras mas idiomas sepamos mejor y si podemos traducir a otros lenguajes nuestra cosmovisión seria formidable. Otra controversia es la de las traducciones de literatura oriental u otros idiomas, en especial al inglés.
¿O será mejor revivir el esperanto?

Sigue cultivando ambos y si puedes alguno más. Por eso me gustan mucho las traducciones de lo que escribe Esmeralda Santiago.