Saturday, June 02, 2007

Suicide Prevention or Golden Gate Blues

On the last hours of my last day in San Francisco I arrived to the Golden Gate Bridge. I had already seen it during the day (on previous days) but from afar, and I wanted the upclose experience. But what happened? On that last day I decided to go to as many places as I could, being the bridge the farthest landmark from my starting point, I went there last. And so, I regreted it.

When I arrived it was already dark. It was 5:30 PM or maybe 6:00, I don't remember, but it was as dark as if it were midnight. I got off the bus. I walked through the freezing breeze of the ocean, happy that I was going to BE on the Golden Gate at last, under its fade lights and red structure, only to encounter a gate that closed the entrance of the sidewalk of the bridge, branding two signs:

One said: "No pedestrians after 6:30 PM", I'm pretty sure it wasn't even six. Dang it! But then, my night wasn't all lost, for I read the other sign, right under that one that said:
"The consequences of jumping from this bridge are fatal and tragic". Uuh, duh? It was so funny that there was a sign on the entrance of the bridge that stated the obvious, then again people ignore many signs on their ways... But this one was a first for me. Then it hit me that there must have been many people that jumped over the side of the bridge for the city to post this sign. And then I remember the fog that remained during my stay in SanFran, my friend told me that it was constant (although I also enjoyed pretty clear skies, but mostly it was cold, rainy and gray). It has to have a toll on people....

Still, I thought it funny. And in the end I enjoyed the saddened/nostalgic look of the bridge in the night and up close.

((I should have just jumped onto the street! There wasn't a sign for THAT!)).

3 comments:

Natz said...

Como, o quien sera la persona que trabaja atendiendo ese emergency line. Haha, deber ser divertido.

Quizas si le ponen una cantina al lado al puente pudieran bajar la taza. La gente se enfusca bebiendo, se desahogan con el bartender, o se emborachan demasiado como para poder tirarse hahaah.

Natz said...

*Tasa, perdon.

Kahlúa Macarena said...

oye, ¿por qué no llamaste? ahora me nuero de la curiosidad por saber lo que dicen al otro lado... :o|