Monday, August 14, 2006

Music and its rememberative powers (translation)

(this is the translation of THIS post).
Music and its rememberative powers


(recordativos=rememberative; I'm so good;
translated nonsense=disparates traducidos)

Today I listening to some music that I have downloaded, and also some cd's that I hadn't heard in quite a long time, and something happened to me, something so... I cannot say "so incredible" because I do believe it, so I must say: "so pleasant". Yes, that's it. When you listen to passed-years music, unrelated images (except that they're all from the past) flash up to you as if they happened yesterday. As if they were moving pictures. You can see if that day was cloudy or sunny, or if it was hot or could, one can see the people around at that moment, or it can also be a memory of a moment in which you can only see yourself, even though you remember lots of people around you. Kinda surreal. You remember moments so vividly... As an example, the other day I hear on the radio:

Iris - Goo Goo Dolls, one of the City of Angels movie theme songs, when was this movie out? 1998? And it reminded me of school, high school, laying on the hallways at lunchtime with a bunch of people listening to that CD on someone else Cd player, because I didn't have one. It also reminded me of a day when we sang it together in my friend's (Randy) car. "And I don't want the world to see me, cause I don't think that they'll understand, when everything's made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am." I also remember when I saw the Goo Goo Dolls CD (Dizzy up the girl), which in those days it was the newest thing... The Cd was shown to me in the history classroom, and it was February, I know because of the CD was given to my friend (Yaysa) as a secret-friend gift (like secret santa), and she showed it to me. Gosh, I don't even remember what was given to me...

This other song I have it in my Media Player
Hole in my Soul - Aerosmith, when was this song out? Must be from 97 or before. This song reminds me of its music-video, which played every so often on the forgotten channel The Box (RIP). The video grew tiresome after a while. Madonna first, then Aerosmith, lets say Goo Goo Dolls, and then Aerosmith again... no wonder... There's a hole in my soul that's been killing me forever, its a place.... I also remember having seen this music video at my friend's (Carmen) house, we were there because we were finishing an art project, wait, it was art but it was for science class.

Ay! I just remembered what I was given in the secret-friend that Goo Goo Dolls' February, mi friend (Keila) gave me Enrique Iglesias' first CD, which was also MY first, for my first cd player. Wow. Enrique Iglesias, what was I thinking? Dark ages.

Another song:
El puente de San Blás - Maná, gosh, this one's from 1999. I remember that because it was my cd (from 98 to 99 mi cd's spawned as if they were hamsters). I had played the CD at the ceramics classroom so that we could work peacefully... Solaaa, sola en el olvido, solaaa, sola con su espíritu solaaaa, sola con su amor el mar, solaaaa en el muelle de san Blas... My teacher said that it was a good CD, I believed her.

Another song:
What's my age again - Blink 182, 2000?, what I remember with this song is that the first time that I lived in Orlando, the roommates and I (out of boredom) would play imaginary instruments to this song, as if we were little kids. What the hell is ADD, my friend's say I should act my age, what's my age again, what's my age again.... Luke and Travis were the guitar and bass, I was the drums.

Another Song:
Las Flores - Café Tacuba, I'm not even going to write the date on this, because the date is superfluous to my memory. My memory is from 2002, it was January at the now famous Magi King Party at Yomara's house, and the song was played, and of course, everybody knows the lyrics to this classic, and everyone sang. All were seated on the floor or on the couches... the Christmas Tree still up in a corner with golden lights... Aaayyyyy ven y dime todas esas cosas, invítame a sentarme junto a ti, escucharé todos tus sueños en mi oido....

Another:
Time of your life - Green Day, this is a relatively old song, but the F______ of the other Joel played it the last day in which we lived in Orlando (this was the second time I lived there), and so the song got embossed in my brain, along with the moment: It was dark, obviously, and we were all packing; I had a CD of Celine Dion playing, and Joel said: "lets play some going-away music", and he changed it. Its something unpredictable, but in the end is right, i hope you had the time of your live... I remember Matt (my other roommate) saying something like: "Oh, that's wrong".

Another:
Anything country, but hardcore-country (thank God that doesn't play here) reminds me of Nick (the other Disney roommate), and reminds me of the time we went to buy one-dollar double cheeseburgers at Mcdonald's. He changes the radio station to country music, and I say: "you like that?", he says yes, and I go: "but it so... country", and he goes: "well, I'm from the country". And then, they gave us the burgers.

And last one:
The Carol of the Bells, I don't know who played this Christmas song first, but it always reminds me of the movie Home Alone 2, the one were the kid is alone in New York... And it reminds me that I narrated the whole thing, the WHOLE thing in detail (from the Ho ho ho Plan, to the birds at the end) to my friend (Edgar) in elementary school. Elementary School!!! Dang. 1992?

Ok, I must stop, because I'll never end. Specific songs (even reggeaton, yes) remind me of specific people (anything Shakira reminds me of Alexandra, for example). Songs that I have forgotten, when I hear them again they will slap me with memories, and with the places that I haven't been at anymore, and with the moments that will never happen again... It is sad, but it is also pleasant... to know that there was and there is people to share them with.

No comments: