Saturday, March 17, 2007

OMG, Stardust Hotel was dusted!!!

And what were we doing? I was writing about annoying roosters, and you were reading about them.

Yes, the Stardust Hotel in Las Vegas was imploded last 13th of March. You don't know which hotel is that? Just watch the "classic" picture I took when I went to Vegas.

Joel, how did you get to know about these sad news? Well, Joel, I was randomly checking cities at the newly found website www.craigslist.org, and after perusing through New York, San Francisco and Puerto Rico, I went to Las Vegas, and suddenly found some ad in which someone was looking for a cameraman who could film the "implosion of the Stardust". And I was like this:

:-o

"Such a "historic" hotel is going to be imploded?", I said. And then I HAD to come here and write about it, and I also HAD to post one of the best pictures I took in Vegas: the picture of the Stardust Hotel sign.

I remember the night... I was walking up on the Strip (I say "up" because I was going "north" (I think)), it was super cold, I had my hands inside the long sleeves of my borrowed jacket, and those in turn, I had them burried in the pockets of my pants. I could see my breath when I breathed out, and suddenly I saw the sign with the many sparkled stars gleaming and twinkling. I reached it. And I looked up, there were no clouds in the dark sky of that night. And I saw the sign up close. I took my camera out of a pocket inside the jacket. I was shaking from the cold. And I shot a picture. I took three or four with different appertures and shutter speeds (because I'm a perfectionist like that), but I only kept one pic, because I was running out of memory in the memory card. So, of the 200 plus pictures I have from Vegas THIS/THAT pic is the ONLY one I have from the hotel.

Vegas is such an everchanging place, historic places are not preserved that much (except in museums), because the entertainment business is always renewing itself. So it depends on how you look at it, it is good because it keeps things fresh, but it also makes you forget of good times past.

Click HERE for day-by-day countdown.
or HERE to know what they're building in its place.
and watch the video below (it is always cool to watch something implode, specially when there are nice fireworks)


1 comment:

Kahlúa Macarena said...

beautiful way to go down... incredible... wow.