Friday, February 09, 2007

On Random Encounters

Sometimes when you least expect it, something nice happens. The other day as I was riding the bus to Sagrado Corazón (the university, for those puertorricanly impared), and as I was giving some thought regarding the subject of the previous post, and as I was reading and/or doing some assigments for the grammar class I'm taking... guess who came waltzing in through the center hall of the bus? The BLOGMACHINE himself! And I'm like: "no, that cannot be him". And then, he sits right across from me on the bus. And I say to myself: "I should say something clever", but then again, I'm not that kind of person. So I just said:

"I like your blog". In my mind I was imagining that I was him, and he was me. He was probably thinking something like: "what the hell did this guy just say? ... waaaait ... he said blog?"

So, he stares at me with a kind of bewilderment. And he says: "¿sí?"

"I'm Joel", and an awesome sense of calmness falls over him. I mean, he was probably still thinking that I was some psycho wearing long white sleeves, dress pants and a black apron, because I'm weird like that, and I wear the uniform until I get off the bus at whatever stop (and remember I work in a restaurant).

And so, it begins a very akward conversation between two people who meet at a very unexpected moment. The two of them are surprised: one by the fact that the other appeared out of thin air at the random-est place ever, and the other is surprised because of the nerve of the other in saying "hello" at some stranger (well, not stranger, he just didn't know who I was, but I knew him).

I don't even remember what we said. We talked about "los changos" (I'm still waiting on a faithful translation of "chango" [a raven-like bird, look two posts down]). Anyway, my stop was the next one, so it was a quick meeting, but it was cool. It's not like everyday that you can meet a celebrity on the public bus.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

esto me suena medio romantico...

Yuliana said...

Definitivamente Blogmachine es una celebridad criolla. Deben hacer una edición especial de "The Fabulous Life of ... puertorrican bloggers", seguro Blogma tiene el primer spot.

theblogmachine said...

"I like your blog" jajajaaj esa fue la palabra perfecta, BLOG... cuando la escuche rápido supe que eras tú, solo cogí par de fracciones de segundos tratando de creer lo que estaba pasando, (OMG OMG OMG es Joel!!) jajajaa la verdad que no me lo esperaba, en el lugar menos esperado conozco otro bloguero... btw no sabia que yo era una celebridad ajajajaja si es así tú también lo eres. Un placer conocer a otro bloguero en el lugar más random que hay.

Anonymous said...

Que cool!
Yo solo he visto a una “bloguera” (no es de blogspot, no se frikeen) y fue en el concierto de Aerosmith! O sea que había una multitud de gente y yo me quede frisá’ cuando la vi y no le pude decir nada porque íbamos en dirección contraria y con un montón de gente en medio.
Anyway me dejó pensando que decir si en alguna ocasión veo a alguien así bien blog-celebrity de aquí y ya me contestaste porque “me gusta tu blog” es sencillo pero llama la atención a las millas.

Anonymous said...

hahaha yo soy tan despistada que nunca me encontraré a nadie. Al menos q se me paren alfrente, "Hola, NO me gusta tu blog. Al fin te encuentro para decirtelo, retirate."
hahahah

Anonymous said...

magic works!

Kahlúa Macarena said...

yo tuve un encounter así en la playa... una muchacha que me presentaron comentaba de un artículo que había leído en un blog, y era el mío. it was pretty cool... :o)

hablando de encounters... al otro día del post de los changos, estoy en office max y este muchacho me "ayudó" a buscar unas cosas (digo "ayudó" porque simplemente me señaló la góndola y me dijo "busca por ahí..." ¬¬) y noté que en su camisa el nametag decía JOEL... o_O for a split second, pensé que podías ser tú, por varias cosas: al bajarme del carro en el parking me acordé de tus changos, la comunidad de changos vive en el área, esperabas la guagua en esa parada, y el hecho de estar pensando en los changos y ahora el nametag... weird... pero, me dije "nah... estoy jangueando demasiado en la blogosfera... ahora me estoy imaginando blogueros..." :o|