Thursday, September 08, 2005

La gata está en celo

The cat is in zeal? (I tried to translate this, I don't know if it is right, for I have never used the word zeal. I looked in two dictionaries... Never mind. On the third dictionary I found the right word... so the title is this:

The cat is on heat. or The cat came into rut. (the she-cat that is, notice it is "gatA" instead of "gatO"). (I shall never use the moronic, online free-translators... Damnit).

Anyway, past the American/Hispanical imparedness...

Last night, more like this morning, for it was 3:05 AM... I'm chilling, talking to my Kiwi friend, and just after we say our goodbyes there is a rustle of boxes outside my window. Ok, so I can't see because my window is closed, because the air conditioning is on (it is hot here, it was like 105 degrees faranheit five days ago), (another thing, my window faces the backyard, through which you can see the wall that divides my yard from the cemetary) (because, I have said this before, there is a cemetary behind my house, a municipal, huge one). So. Ok. The first thing that comes to mind is the cats. But then, the boxes started to move more, as if someone was searching in them. So then, I think some thief have jumpep from the cemetary into my back yard and is now searching for something interesting to sell, at some random corner. So, I don't open the window. As if I was that brave!

So then, my mother comes into my room and whispers: "did you hear the racket outside?", and I'm like: "Hell yeah" (I didn't say hell, I just added it to this writing so to make this more enjoyable and more like a fictional story, and also to save some long adjetive describing my tone of: "of course I heard it") (I see now that I should've just written the damn adjective). And then I said: "That was surely the cat". My neighbor's midnight-black cat, which name is Salem. And my mother goes: "But that was too much racket for a cat", and I said: "I know, but I'm not opening the window". She opened it. There was nothing, or no one. So she went to bed, and I stayed up a little longer. And then something else falls in the yard (there are so many things in my back yard, empty boxes most of it, because there is like a terrace area where we (meaning my mother) keep all the shit). So, something else falls, it sounds like boxes, and a second later I hear a furious snarl. A very very threatening cat hiss. Nasty sound. You know sometimes cats only hiss... like you only hear air coming from their twisted mouths... Well, I heard the air from this cat through my window, so just imagine how threatened this cat was. And then the cat started screaming a snarled meow, like a mixture of hissing and meowing at the same time but louder.

It must be a cat on heat, I thought. But then, I re-thought: "but cats don't make that sound when they are in heat!". Yes, they don't, I've heard those too: they are very loud sensual meows, as if the cat is being squeezed and he just goes with a mellow long meow. But these sounds were of being threatened, of fear or of attacking another cat...

I will never know if there was someone there or if there was a new cat in town... for I just turned the light of the outside off (which is, oddly enough, in my room, because of some horrible engineering), and went to bed. I will never know because I didn't open the window.

1 comment:

Isabel Batteria said...

Fuck you, next time you go and see, you can't leave us like this.