Thursday, September 22, 2005

The truth about this picture

It is weird to see pictures in websites of places where you have been. I've been on this plaza three time in a month. This plaza is called: Plaza Colón. (as in Christopher Columbus).

Puerto Ricans have a saying: "Cuando Colón baje el dedo", (when Colombus puts his finger down). It is used whenever you have something that it is impossible to acomplish. If there was a translation it would be, maybe: "When pigs fly". Because pigs won't, and the Statue of Colón will certainly won't put his finger down. Unless, of course, there is a mutation in the pigs DNA or a bad earthquake brings the finger down. I remember calling this plaza the plaza of the cockroaches. Because there were a lot in the bottom of the fountain located under Columbus. But that was way back. I didn't see one the three times I walked by.

As I was saying: it is weird to see pictures of places where you have been. Because I can see the changes in this plaza. Those craggy, branchy trees next to the round balcony are now a lot taller and full of leafs. I stood right there in that round balcony, and there are big trees that, if I were to take that picture again today, you wouldn't see it.

Also the picture looks as if it were of another country, because the picture is taken from an angle that you would not be able to get, unless: 1. you lived in San Juan, or 2. you were a professional photographer, or 3. you were very determined.

Do you see the brown construction in the background? That is the Fuerte San Felipe, (one of the to fortifications that crown the north coast of Old San Juan). The sky blue/grayish buildind was a Hooters, I don't remember what it is now, I think it is not being used. Next to that is Café Berlin, the restaurand/bar/lounge that I went the other night. To the right you can see a lot of trees, under those trees there is a bank, don't remember which one... On this plaza also the movie: Desperado, with Antonio Banderas, was filmed, some scenes anyway, and the bank was also in the movie. Wait. Now that I think of it, I believe it is a Museum (It would make sense of the lot of trees, because it is a garden, I remember the garden).... Hmm. I'll check and get back to you.

This plaza is like the begining of old San Juan. If you go north, between the former Hooters and the Fortrest you will eventually find the other fortrest, called: El Morro. If you go south, like down the stairs of the round balcony, right in front actually, there's the Tapia Teather, behind the teather, there are hotels, bars (Señor Frogs is near), and the docks where the cruises... well dock. To the east, walking parallel to the Hooters, you will find the Old San Juan City Hall, and the governors house La Fortaleza, and also, the famous bar-infested San Sebastián Street.

Again, it was weird when I first saw this picture (which I used in a previous post, as you may already noticed), because I walked right down those stairs, crossed the sidewalk, crossed the street, went behind the teather, and came in to Starbuck's, (that reminds me, that I hate coffee, but I looove cheesecake). I just thought of showing you were I've been.

Me dieron ganas de caminar. (Now I want to walk).

I'll tell you how it goes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ok amiguito creo que dentro de esta magnifica narracion acerca de una noche cualquiera admirando una fotografia y recordando los acostumbrados paseos por el viejo san juan se ha colado un pequeño e insignificante error; e igual me equivoco yo, pero con el proposito de que alguien resuelva nuestra intriga aqui va: fue en puerto rico (viejo san juan) donde se filmaron algunas escenas de la pelicula "desperado" o fue acaso la pelicula "assasins" donde salia esa plaza colon y en donde antonio banderas comparte actuacion con el actor silvester stallone?