Monday, September 05, 2005

Physical Distance; and I put the luggage away

I once said to someone something like this: "Distance is the worst thing people do to each other". And I believe in that, deeply. Just look at the people around the world. Look how the world turns with people killing other people, just because they don't look into the eyes of the other and see their souls. Just because they don't stop and think: why do I hate this person so much to the amount of killing? And it is because people are growing far appart from each other, so they don't really care about the other, because they don't KNOW the other. Neigbors that enclose themselves in their houses, teenagers that reject other teenagers (and I say teenagers because that is were is most apparent, not to say at all that grown people or kids don't do it).

But that is on the general aspect of distance.

Distance also grows among family members. When they fight over some stupid reason, no calls, no visits. When communication lacks and the parents split (or when the love gradually ends). Or when children have to move on with their lives and move away from their parents. Or when lovers have to divide because of whatever reason. When friends just live away from each other.

And that's where the Physical Distance comes around. The miles appart are like a barrier, they act as silencers, when you don't see the people that you have left behind, it is easier to forget them, it is easier to... disappear. Sure there's the phone, sure there's mail. But soon even those devices are avoided, confidence is slowly lost, conversations are akward and monosyllabic. Soon the things that were common between them are no longer the same, interests change and that is when you realize that you have lost something good.

Of course, you will try to make the encounter as enjoyable for the other as you can, but it is just hard. Eventually, if you break the distance, the love, the friendship and common things will rebuild themselves. But, again, only if the distance is cut short.

If distance is the worst thing people can do to each other, just imagine, then distance is the ultimate, most horrible "worst" for people who love each other.

Why would you leave the people that love you in the first place?


After a week of relative well-being, I finally decided to put my luggage away, how wrong it was to just leave it in front of my bed. Wrong because I should have put it away as soon as I came back from Orlando, I should've. But then, I couldn't hold myself up, because of the sadness, so that is why I left it thrown on the floor. But today I put everything away, and every single thing that I pulled from the bags reminded me of something I did. Then, I cleaned up my drawers so that everything could fit, and I found so many old trinkets. I found letters I recieved, which had events that I can barely recall. I found Valentine cards that were given to me by people whom I can barely picture in my mind, their faces are blurry... (I even have one signed by Elizabeth, and I don't remember no Elizabeth! someone please!) I also found pictures of me, when I was like 8, and 13, and like 16. I saw how much I have changed, how distant 8, 13 and 16 look now, and remember how far 23 looked from those ages. I don't even recognize myself. I wonder what was I thinking when the pictures were taken. I used to not show my teeth, somehow I thought I didn't look right if I showed my teeth (or I was told once to not show them, and it stuck with me...), but I was wrong (or they were wrong), teeth in pictures... Very good. But then, how did I change so much? I didn't even realize, even my thoughts are different...

I am guilty. Guilty of not following my own advise. But I have only just realize, not too long ago, that distance is the worst, and all of the repercusions that it brings... I have only just realized that. I'm trying to be less introverted, so that's a start.

In those Valentine cards, almost all my friends, wrote to me "never change". My answer now is: "I didn't... ...It wasn't me... ...I just couldn't help it".

No comments: